Tuesday, April 21, 2009

So what will happen at Oracle now?

As I have blogged about before, I have worked for Oracle before, 20 years ago or so. And since then, I have heard a lot of bad bad words on Oracle on the streets, both on Oracle the company and Oracle the database product. Actually, Oracle isn't about any of those things, no, just as in the case on MySQL, it's about people. And good people. You don't run and build a company like Oracle without good people.

To be honest, most I know about the software industry and most of what I know about database technology, I learnt or was allowed to learn when I was with Oracle back then. And I can tell you that backing and supporting me back then wasn't a really obviously good thing to do (I don't know if it is now even). Bur Oracle did, and I owe them one for that.

Also, I like the Oracle product. There are attributes with the product that are different from, say MySQL, and depending on what you look for, Oracle or MySQL might be the better fit. Running Oracle requires a fair bit more hardware and OS resources, but given that, it's a good RDBMS and if you use the features it has, it is generally good software. And this isn't a statement I made up just now, in view of the current event, but this is something I have said many times over the years, and I have said it because I believe that this is the case.

And one more thing, in Montys blog he states that "most of the MySQL leaders (both commercial and project) have left Sun and the people who are left are sitting with their CV and ready to press send." And I have tow things to say about this:
  • I don't know what a "MySQL Leader" is.
  • I' still around and I am not sitting with my CV.
  • I've been with MySQL for 5 years, so I would like to think it has some significance.
  • Actually, no one I have spoken to so far are "ready to press send".
/Karlsson
Who will hang around here, and is a bit excited of meeting old Oracle friends again.

1 comment:

Phil Hildebrand said...

It's nice to know there are at least a few people positive about this. I like Oracle, I'm hoping their looking mostly at competing with IBM, and increasing database marketshare, pulling away from SQLServer.